Hello wonderful mentors of Pitch Wars and thank you for
stalking visiting me!
I hope this means you like my first pages and want to know more about me. I write both young adult and middle grade, generally with a creepy vibe. So far, I’ve 68 (and climbing) ideas for stories and struggle to choose the next one to start. THIS SCARY MANOR BLOWS is my third completed manuscript, so as you can see, I’ve many more to go!
But don’t let this spine-chilling tale-telling girl fool you. I must admit a few ideas in my notebook aren’t always eerie—such as my underwater, alien-ish world adventure or the car that time travels with fun loving brothers. Sometimes, I just like a good laugh around my weirdness.
Some of my favorite pastimes involve anything in an ocean: swimming, snorkeling, and scuba diving (I once swam over a Manta ray), cave exploring, hiking (especially in the mountains), whitewater rafting, repelling, jet skiing, painting, cooking, movies, hanging with the family, and writing (of course). When I write, I can be found sipping tea—okay, a LOT of tea—and eating cheese. I also shove chocolate down my throat when I’m waiting for contest results and stalking hashtags. Eating jalapenos with most meals is a craving, not an obsession—I swear! And lobster (or any seafood) is my absolute favorite meal. But I love all ethnic foods; my tongue has no limit for the goodies!
But, sometimes goodies have a limit. Like, who’s eating whom here?
Okay, enough about scrumptious stuff or I’m gonna have to take a break to feed my face (yes, I really didn’t say mouth or stomach. I hear you mentor). You might be wondering what I like to read. Dude, I’m all over the place. But here are a few books I’ve enjoyed:
• The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman (but anything by Neil really!)
• Doll Bones, Holly Black
• Anna Dressed in Blood, Kendare Blake
• Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, J.K. Rolling
• The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien
• Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
• The Luck Uglies, Paul Durham
• Ink and Bone, Rachel Caine
• We All Looked Up, Tommy Wallach
• Bridge to Terabithia, Katherine Paterson
• Watchers, Dean Koontz
• Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain
What am I going to buy at Barnes & Noble later today? Not what you might think, a young adult book. Hey, don’t snarl at all that’s not middle grade, yo. The cover grabbed my attention on Holly’s site!
And of course, I must mention some of my favorite movies. In no particular order:
• Hocus Pocus
• The Goonies
• Harry Potter
• Pirates of the Caribbean
• The Notebook
• Frozen (Okay, so it’s an animation. Watcha gonna do about it?)
• Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992 directed by Francis Ford Coppola)
• The Mummy (1999 with Brendan Fraser—and OMGosh people, a reboot is coming in 2017!)
• The Hunger Games
• Phantom of the Opera (1925 with Lon Chaney. Yes, I watched many old—old movies with my momma; basically she’d turn on anything with Lon, Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, and pirate movies with Errol Flynn. And no, I’m not an old hag peeps, I’m only 46.)
Of course, I also like Pride & Prejudice but hey, I threw the Notebook in the list and didn’t want you to think I was all about the mooshy-mooshy. (But, I might be, especially with a good mysterious creature or ghost!) Oh, that makes me think of Ghost with Patrick Swayze (sad moment). Dang, that was a good movie!
In my non-writing life, I’m a retail manager. So, I’m accustomed to setting goals with deadlines, and creating a marketing plan to promote product. I’m also a good listener to customer needs to turn the knowledge into a sale. These skills are handy to have as a writer. And lastly, I’m a quick learner and pretty easy going. So, even though I’m a panster, I’m trying my hand at outlining on my next novel (cuz I’m not scared). And if you’re blunt with critiques, I swoon at the words.
So there you have a brief summary of who I am. Good luck with finding an awesome mentee, but…PICK ME!
(BTW, this picture is super cool and creepy with the ice hands, but I have to clarify—I hate Pepsi! I’m a Dr. Pepper kind of girl.)
Blogger and writer of MG/YA fiction