Dystel, Goderich & Bourret is looking for organized, reliable, efficient individuals to be interns and are interested in learning about the publishing industry. Candidates should be committed to devoting 15-20 hours per week in-house (New York). Applicants should be interested in learning the specifics of agenting, open to reading widely, and are detail-oriented, organized, and have critical reading and research skills.
• Assist with reading slush, partial, and full manuscripts.
• Request and evaluate manuscripts.
• Write readers reports.
• Assist with contracts, royalty statements, and author correspondence as needed.
• Administrative duties, including but not limited to research, copyediting, filing, scanning, answering phones, data entry.
This will be for one semester from January until mid-May 2020 and is unpaid. Requirements:
• Strong writing and editing skills
• Detail-oriented & organized
• Well-read across different genres
• Basic computer skills
• Availability 2-3 days a week
Interested candidates can e-mail Amy Bishop at email@example.com with their resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include answers to the following questions:
• Why are you interested in working at a literary agency? Why DG&B in particular?
• What are your favorite genres?
• What gets you excited about a book?
• What are your three favorite authors and what genre would you be interested in learning more about?
• Why do you think you would be a good candidate for our internship program?
As always, good luck!
Blogger and writer of MG/YA fiction