HarperCollins Children’s Books has opened it’s doors to writer’s of diverse backgrounds to submit work. This is a contest for middle grade manuscripts (ages 8-12) in any genre or format. A few of the rules are:
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must have a diverse background: (Examples, but not limited to) LGBTQIA, Native, people of color, gender diversity, people with disabilities, and ethnic, cultural, and religious minorities.
- Document in Microsoft Word or PDF, no larger than 5 MB
The winner will receive:
- Editorial feedback from a panel of HarperCollins editors in writing, including an edit letter and a thirty-minute phone consultation.
- Consideration for publication by the HarperCollins Children’s Books’ acquisitions group.
The deadline to submit is November 16, 2018. For complete rules for submission, go here. And as always, good luck!
TU BOOKS, the middle grade and young adult imprint of LEE & LOW BOOKS, is open for submissions to their New Voices Award. This contest is given annually to an unpublished author of color (in the contest age category, other categories okay). Previous winners include award-winning titles such as Ink and Ashes, Rebel Seoul, As Fast As Words Could Fly, Juna’s Jar, It Jes’ Happened, and Sixteen Years in Sixteen Seconds.
Manuscripts may be any genre for children ages 5-12, or young adult ages 12-18. Manuscripts should address the needs of children of color or native children by providing stories they can identify with and which promote greater understanding of one another. Themes relating to non-traditional family structures, gender identity, or disabilities are also of interest.
Contestants must meet all of the following criteria to be considered:
- Self-identify as a person of color or a Native/indigenous person.
- Be at least 18 years old at the time of entry.
- Be a resident of the United States.
- Must not be agented.
The Award winner receives a cash prize of $2000 and their standard publication contract, including their basic advance and royalties for a first time author. An Honor Award winner will receive a cash prize of $1000.
But the window for submission is closing soon! All manuscripts must be submitted no later than August 31, 2018. Be sure to read their entire guidelines before submitting. As always, good luck!
Blogger and writer of MG/YA fiction