LEE & LOW BOOKS, award-winning publisher of children’s books, has been sponsoring the seventeenth annual NEW VOICES AWARD. The Award will be given for a children’s picture book manuscript by a writer of color. Woo-hoo! Another contest just for PB’s!
- The contest is open to writers of color who are residents of the United States, 18 years or older at the time of entry, and who have not previously had a children’s picture book published.
- Writers who have published work in other venues and genres, including children’s magazines, young adult, and adult fiction or nonfiction, are eligible.
- Only unagented submissions will be accepted.
- Work that has been published in any format, including online and self published, is not eligible.
- Manuscripts previously submitted for this award or to LEE & LOW BOOKS will not be considered.
Submissions may be Fiction, NonFiction, or Poetry for children ages 5 to 12. (Note: Stories with Anthropomorphic animal characters will not be considered.) Manuscripts shouldn’t be any more than 1500 words.The Award winner will receive a cash prize of $1000 and their standard publication contract, including their basic advance and royalties for a first time author. An Honor Award winner will receive a cash prize of $500. But you need to hurry because submissions have to be postmarked by September 30, 2016. (That’s right, no digital entries!) For complete submission guidelines, go here.
As always, good luck!
Blogger and writer of MG/YA fiction.